Monzurul Alam received his PhD in neuroprosthetics from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and is currently working as a postdoctoral fellow at Dr. Edgerton's lab, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Both his PhD and postdoctoral research have been focused on Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) rehabilitation in rodent models. Electrophysiology, pharmacology and electrical stimulation are the common techniques applied.Dr. Alam's major research interest is to understand the neural mechanisms underlying the function and the recovery after injuries of the central and peripheral nervous system. He also applies modern engineering techniques to utilize this neural system for prosthetic applications.
- Neuroprostheses: Bionic Prostheses (Artificial Limb, Myoelectric Hand, Hybrid Bionics), Motor and Sensory Prostheses, Artificial Retina, Cortical Neuorprostheses, Peripheral Nerve Interfacing.
- Neurorehabilitation: Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) and Stroke Rehabilitation, Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES), Robot assisted therapy, Gait Rehabilitation.
- Brain Machine Interfacing (BMI): Single/Multi-Unit recording using Multiple Electrode Arrays (MEAs), Electrocorticogram (ECoG), Electroneurogram (ENG), Neuromodulation.
- Biomedical Engineering: Biomedical Device, BioInstrumentation, Electrophysiology, Assistive Technology.
- Monzurul Alam and Jufang He (2014), “Lower-limb Neuroprostheses: Restoring walking after spinal cord injury”. (Accepted to be published as a chapter in the Book: Emerging Theory and Practice in Neuroprosthetics; Publisher: IGI-Global)
- Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen, Zicong Zhang, Yan Li and Jufang He (2014), “A brain-machine-muscle interface for restoring hindlimb locomotion after complete spinal transection in rats”. (Under review)
- Yan Li, Monzurul Alam, Shanshan Guo, K.H. Ting, and Jufang He (2013). “Electronic bypass of spinal lesions to activate lower motor neurons directly driven by cortical neural signals”. (Under review)
- Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen and Eduardo Fernandez (2013). “A Low-cost Multichannel Wireless Neural Stimulation System for Freely Roaming Rodents”. J. Neural Eng. 10 (2013) 066010.
- Monzurul Alam and Jufang He “Cortically Controlled Electrical Stimulation for Locomotion of the Spinal Cord Injured”, Converging Clinical & Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation, BIOSYSROB 1, pp. 37-41, Springer- Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
- Kin-fai Wu, Monzurul Alam and Yuan-ting Zhang “An Optimized E-textile Electrode Placement for Non-contact ECG Bed“, 5th International Conference on Ubiquitous Healthcare, October 29-31, 2008.
- Monzurul Alam and Fazle Elahi Faisal “Self Adaptive Embedded System Design”. National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.
- Monzurul Alam and S. M. Lutful Kabir “Three Phase Digital Electric Energy Meter”. National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.
- S. M. Abdullah Saber, M. Nasim A Dewan and Monzurul Alam “Internet based control of power lines”, National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.
- Fazle Elahi Faisal and Monzurul Alam “A New Relation on Number of Iterations for Approximation Algorithm of Weighted Matching Problem”. National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.