Monzurul Alam is a neuroprosthetics researcher with mixed background in electronics and neuroscience. He received his masters in bioengineering from The Miguel Hernandez University, Spain; and PhD in neuroscience from the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). He also received postdoctoral training from Edgerton Neuromuscular Research Laboratory, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Both his PhD and postdoctoral research had been focused on Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) rehabilitation in rodent models. Currently he is a Research Fellow at Singapore Institute for Neurotechnology (SiNAPSE), The National University of Singapore (NUS).
Dr. Alam's major research is on sensory and motor control of movements. His key research interest is to understand the neural mechanisms underlying the function and the recovery after injuries of the sensorimotor system. Electrophysiology, pharmacology and electrical stimulation are the common techniques applied in his research. He also applies modern engineering techniques to utilize the neural system for prosthetic applications.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
|2013 – 2015:
||Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), California, USA.
|2010 – 2013:
||PhD in Neuroscience, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU), Hong Kong.
|2009 – 2010:
||Masters in Bioengineering, Unit of Visual Rehabilitation and Neuroprosthesis (UNRV), Institute of Bioengineering, University Miguel Hernandez (UMH), Spain.
- Monzurul Alam and Jufang He (2014), “Lower-limb Neuroprostheses: Restoring walking after spinal cord injury”. Emerging Theory and Practice in Neuroprosthetics, IGI Global 2014. 153-180. Web. 3 Jul. 2014. DOI:10.4018/978-1-4666-6094-6.ch009.
- Monzurul Alam and Jufang He (2013), “Cortically Controlled Electrical Stimulation for Locomotion of the Spinal Cord Injured”. Converging Clinical & Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation, BIOSYSROB 1, pp. 37-41, Springer- Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-34546-3_6
- Prithvi Shah, Shakthi Sureddi, Monzurul Alam, Hui Zhong, Roland R Roy, V. Reggie Edgerton and Yury Gerasimenko (2016), "Unique spatiotemporal neuromodulation of the lumbosacral circuitry shapes locomotor success after spinal cord injury", J Neurotrauma 2016 Jan 20. DOI: 10.1089/neu.2015.4256
- Yiping Guo, Chunhua Liu, Lingli Hu, Xiaoyun Wang, Monzurul Alam and Haitao Wang (2015), "An economic method to build a puffing instrument for drug application in vitro", J Neurosci Methods 2015 Dec 30. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2015.08.032
- Monzurul Alam, Guillermo Garcia-Alias, Prithvi K. Shah, Yury Gerasimenko, Hui Zhong, Roland R. Roy and V. Reggie Edgerton (2015), "Evaluation of optimal electrode configurations for epidural spinal cord stimulation in cervical spinal cord injured rats", J Neurosci Methods 2015 Mar 16. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2015.03.012.
- Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen, Zicong Zhang, Yan Li and Jufang He (2014), “A brain-machine-muscle interface for restoring hindlimb locomotion after complete spinal transection in rats”, PLoS ONE 9(8): e103764. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0103764
- Yan Li, Monzurul Alam, Shanshan Guo, K.H. Ting, and Jufang He (2014), “Electronic bypass of spinal lesions to activate lower motor neurons directly driven by cortical neural signals”, J Neuroeng Rehab 2014, 11:107. DOI:10.1186/1743-0003-11-107
- Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen and Eduardo Fernandez (2013), “A low-cost multichannel wireless neural stimulation system for freely roaming animals”, J Neural Eng 2013, 10(6):066010. DOI:10.1088/1741-2560/10/6/066010
- Monzurul Alam, Guillermo Garcia-Alias, Hui Zhong, Roland R. Roy and V. Reggie Edgerton “Optimizing epidural spinal cord stimulation to improve forelimb motor function in rats after a cervical spinal cord injury”, Neuroscience Meeting, November 15-19, 2014, 2014.
- Prithvi K. Shah, S. Sureddi, Monzurul Alam, Parag Gad, Hui Zhong, Roland R. Roy, V. Reggie Edgerton and Yury Gerasimenko “Mechanisms underlying the interactive effects of multi-site epidural spinal cord stimulation in spinal rats”, Neuroscience Meeting, November 15-19, 2014, 2014.
- Monzurul Alam, Guillermo Garcia-Alias, Hui Zhong, Roland R. Roy and V. Reggie Edgerton “Modulating the Excitability of Neuronal Microcircuits by Epidural Stimulation in Cervical Spinal Cord of Injured Rats”, The 8th Annual Dynamics of Neural Microcircuits Symposium, May, 2014.
- Kin-fai Wu, Monzurul Alam, Yuan-ting Zhang “An Optimized E-textile Electrode Placement for Non-contact ECG Bed“, 5th International Conference on Ubiquitous Healthcare, October 29-31, 2008.
- Monzurul Alam, Fazle Elahi Faisal “Self Adaptive Embedded System Design”, National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.
- Fazle Elahi Faisal and Monzurul Alam “A New Relation on Number of Iterations for Approximation Algorithm of Weighted Matching Problem”, National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.