Department of Neurosurgery University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) California, USA. Phone: +1 (310) 383 6950. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) California, USA. Phone: +1 (310) 383 6950. Email: email@example.com
California, USA. Phone: +1 (310) 383 6950. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +1 (310) 383 6950. Email: email@example.com
Monzurul Alam received his PhD in neuroprosthetics from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and is currently working as a postdoctoral fellow at Dr. Edgerton's lab, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Both his PhD and postdoctoral research have been focused on Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) rehabilitation in rodent models. Electrophysiology, pharmacology and electrical stimulation are the common techniques applied.
Dr. Alam's major research interest is to understand the neural mechanisms underlying the function and the recovery after injuries of the central and peripheral nervous system. He also applies modern engineering techniques to utilize this neural system for prosthetic applications.
I want to develop my career as a Neuroprosthetics Researcher to make this medical technology more functional, reliable and affordable by all the community around the world.
▪ Neurorehabilitation: Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) and Stroke Rehabilitation, Neuromodulation, Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES), Neural circuits and their plasticity, Gait Rehabilitation.
▪ Neuroprosthetics: Motor and Sensory Neuroprostheses, Bionic Prostheses (Artificial Limb, Myoelectric Hand, Hybrid Bionics), Artificial Retina, Cortical Neuorprostheses, Peripheral Nerve Interfacing.
▪ Biomedical Engineering: Bioinstrumentations, Biosensors, Computer-aided medical diagnosis.
▪ Core work: Electrophysiology, Neural Interfacing, Brain Machine Interfacing (BMI), Single/Multi-Unit recording using Multiple Electrode Arrays (MEAs), Electrocorticogram (ECoG), Electroneurogram (ENG), Neural prosthesis for Spinal Cord Injury (SCI), Neuromodulation, Upper and lower limb prosthesis, Bioinstrumentation, Bio-signal processing and pattern recognition.
▪ Competency: Microprocessor, Microcontroller (8051, 8052, PIC18, PIC24, PIC32MX, MSP430, AVR), DSP, DSC (dsPIC33), Analogue and Digital circuits, ADC/DAC, Analogue and Digital filters (FIR, IIR), Real Time Clock (RTC), LCD, PCB design, Embedded System design, Firmware programming, Radio Frequency (RF) design, Real Time Operation System (RTOS), Computer data acquisition and control.
▪ Software: Cadence OrCAD 9.2, Keil C uVision3, BASCOM-8051, HI-TECH C, MPLAB C18, C30, MPLAB IDE 7.31, AVR Studio 4, MATLAB 7.0, QT 4.5, Visual Studio 6.0, Proteus 7 Professional, MS Office.
▪ Computer language and interfacing: C, C++, MATLAB, ASSEMBLY language for 8085, 8086, 8051, 8052, AVR, PIC18F, PIC24F, dsPIC33F and PIC32MX series, RS-232, RS-485, USB, Parallel Port, USART, SPI, I2C, COM, SPORT, Blue-tooth, Zigbee, WiMi, WiFi, LAN.
▪ Sensors: MEAs (Multielectrode Arrays), Neural interfacing electrodes, ECG, EMG, ECoG, EEG, Temperature (DS18B20, LM35, PT100), Pressure, IR, RF, Ultrasonic, Gas Sensors.
▪ Laboratory competency: in vivo animal experiments, Electrophysiology, Histology, Impedance Spectroscopy, Cyclic Voltametry, Electron gun microscopy, Thin film Photolithography.
▪ Awarded Research Postgraduate Student Scholarship to pursue PhD degree at the Hong kong Polytechnic University in year 2010.
▪ Awarded Graduate student scholarship to pursue masters degree at University Miguel Hernandez of Elche in the year 2009.
▪ Awarded Rajshahi University merit scholarship in recognition of good performance in undergraduation study in the year 2002.
▪ Book Chapter:
1. Monzurul Alam and Jufang He (2014), "Lower-limb Neuroprostheses: Restoring walking after spinal cord injury". (accepted to be published as a chapter in the Book: Emerging Theory and Practice in Neuroprosthetics; Publisher: IGI-Global.
▪ Journal Papers:
1. Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen, Zicong Zhang, Yan Li and Jufang He (2014), "A brain-machine-muscle interface for restoring hindlimb locomotion after complete spinal transection in rats". (under review)
2. Yan Li, Monzurul Alam, Shanshan Guo, K.H. Ting, and Jufang He (2013). "Electronic bypass of spinal lesions to activate lower motor neurons directly driven by cortical neural signals". (under review)
3. Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen and Eduardo Fernandez (2013). "A Low-cost Multichannel Wireless Neural Stimulation System for Freely Roaming Rodents", J. Neural Eng. 10 (2013) 066010.
▪ Conference Papers:
1. Monzurul Alam and Jufang He "Cortically Controlled Electrical Stimulation for Locomotion of the Spinal Cord Injured", Converging Clinical & Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation, BIOSYSROB 1, pp. 37-41, Springer- Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
2. Kin-fai Wu, Monzurul Alam, Yuan-ting Zhang "An Optimized E-textile Electrode Placement for Non-contact ECG Bed", 5th International Conference on Ubiquitous Healthcare, October 29-31, 2008.