Monzurul Alam received his PhD in neuroprosthetics from The Hong Kong Polytechnic
University and is currently working as a postdoctoral fellow at Dr. Edgerton's lab,
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Both his PhD and postdoctoral research
have been focused on Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) rehabilitation in rodent models. Electrophysiology,
pharmacology and electrical stimulation are the common techniques applied.
Dr. Alam's major research is on sensory and motor control of movements.
His key research interest is to understand the neural mechanisms underlying the function and the recovery after injuries of the sensorimotor system.
He also applies modern engineering techniques to utilize this neural system for prosthetic applications.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
2013 – Now:
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Neurosurgery, University of California Los
Angeles (UCLA), California, USA.
2010 – 2013:
PhD in Nueroprosthetics, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong
Polytechnic University (PolyU), Hong Kong.
2009 – 2010:
Masters in Bioengineering, Unit of Visual Rehabilitation and Neuroprosthesis (UNRV),
Institute of Bioengineering, University Miguel Hernandez (UMH), Spain.
- Monzurul Alam and Jufang He (2014), “Lower-limb Neuroprostheses: Restoring
walking after spinal cord injury”. Emerging Theory and Practice in Neuroprosthetics,
IGI Global 2014. 153-180. Web. 3 Jul. 2014. DOI:10.4018/978-1-4666-6094-6.ch009.
- Monzurul Alam and Jufang He (2013), “Cortically Controlled Electrical Stimulation
for Locomotion of the Spinal Cord Injured”. Converging Clinical & Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation,
BIOSYSROB 1, pp. 37-41, Springer- Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-34546-3_6
- Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen, Zicong Zhang, Yan Li and Jufang He (2014), “A brain-machine-muscle
interface for restoring hindlimb locomotion after complete spinal transection in rats”,
PLoS ONE 9(8): e103764. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0103764
- Yan Li, Monzurul Alam, Shanshan Guo, K.H. Ting, and Jufang He (2014), “Electronic
bypass of spinal lesions to activate lower motor neurons directly driven by cortical neural signals”,
J Neuroeng Rehab 2014, 11:107. DOI:10.1186/1743-0003-11-107
- Monzurul Alam, Xi Chen and Eduardo Fernandez (2013), “A low-cost multichannel
wireless neural stimulation system for freely roaming animals”,
J Neural Eng 2013, 10(6):066010. DOI:10.1088/1741-2560/10/6/066010
- Monzurul Alam, Guillermo Garcia-Alias, Prithvi K. Shah, Yury Gerasimenko, Hui Zhong,
Roland R. Roy, and V. Reggie Edgerton “Optimizing epidural spinal cord stimulation to improve
forelimb motor function in rats after a cervical spinal cord injury”, Neuroscience Meeting,
November 15-19, 2014, 2014.
- Monzurul Alam, Guillermo Garcia-Alias, Hui Zhong, Roland R. Roy, and V. Reggie Edgerton
“Modulating the Excitability of Neuronal Microcircuits by Epidural Stimulation in Cervical
Spinal Cord of Injured Rats”, The 8th Annual Dynamics of Neural Microcircuits Symposium,
- Kin-fai Wu, Monzurul Alam, Yuan-ting Zhang “An Optimized E-textile Electrode
Placement for Non-contact ECG Bed“, 5th International Conference on Ubiquitous Healthcare,
October 29-31, 2008.
- Monzurul Alam, Fazle Elahi Faisal “Self Adaptive Embedded System Design”,
National Conference on Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30,
- Fazle Elahi Faisal and Monzurul Alam “A New Relation on Number of Iterations
for Approximation Algorithm of Weighted Matching Problem”, National Conference on
Electronics, Information and Telecommunication, June 29-30, 2007.